About Me

My photo
I have been working to support disabled people to live as independently as possible and realising their individual potentials for over 20 years. I am qualified in Health and Social Care Management and Ethics and Social Welfare. All blog entries are my responses to issues I see affecting those I support and indeed myself as I joined the disabled community after surviving a stroke.

Tuesday 25 January 2011

DWP Response to My Study on ESA

Greeting readers. As you will remember before Christmas I wrote to numerous politicians and ministers regarding the concerns many of us disableds share regarding benefit reform. My emphasis was on Employment and Support Allowance. Please find below the, shall we say standard response, from the Department of Works & Pensions. I will leave you to make up your own minds, I know I have and I'm working on my response.


Thank you for your recent correspondence. Government Ministers receive a large volume of correspondence and they are unable respond personally on every occasion. As your letter falls within the remit of this Department, we have been asked to respond.

The Government recognises the difficulties faced by severely disabled people and their carers. Ministers have made it clear that they want to ensure benefits are fair and affordable, and support the participation of disabled people in society.

The Chancellor announced on 22 June 2010 that Disability Living Allowance will be reformed, with a new assessment applying from 2013/14. The Government published a consultation paper on 6 December 2010 and the consultation document can be seen on the DWP website, which also contains details of how to submit views. The consultation runs until 14 February this year. We will talk with disabled people to ensure that support is effectively targeted on those with the greatest need, while continuing to tackle inequalities that can arise from severe disability.

New arrangements are also being introduced to ensure that people of working age who currently receive incapacity benefits have access to advice and support to help them consider a move into work, if they are able to do so.

Ministers do welcome all views, and I would like to thank you for your comments. I assure you that they have been duly noted. Information about Government services can be obtained through the internet at www.Directgov.uk.

Yours sincerely

Correspondence Team


No comments:

Post a Comment